Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Break = Hair Bows

My parents are taking Madeline and Colby to Utah tomorrow for my little sisters' graduation.  They will be gone until Monday!  I'm always excited for them to have experiences with my parents, but then I also get a little nervous at the same time.  Often when my mom takes the little girls during the day, when you'd think that I'd get a whole lot more accomplished, I find myself puttering around the house feeling a little down, not knowing exactly what to do without my "helpers".

So, Maddie and Colby are leaving and I panicked last night, worried that I hadn't banked enough quality time with them yet this week and I knew if I didn't, I'd be a wreck while they were gone.  So what did I do...I took the day off.  I wanted to be my pre-furniture refinishing chipper, "I'm so happy to see you" when they got home instead of my new, "I'm almost finished in the garage.  I need you to get your own snack, then I'll be to help you with your homework" self.


Instead, I stayed inside and caught up on hair bows.  In the process, I made a huge discovery.  I've tried so many times to make these bows, but mine always come out boxy and awkward....until today.


As I was staring at a picture of the bow I was wanting to recreate I realized what I'd been doing wrong.  Previously, I'd always used a straight piece of felt, but the key is to taper it!  Maybe you all already know this, if not, I'll share.


Cut one of these.
Fold it into a bow, squeeze to pleat the center and stitch.

Cut the bottom piece as shown below and trim the edges.
Use hot glue to attach the center strip.  Wrap around and secure.  Attach clip to the back.
And voila!

I made these for myself.




I'm crossing my fingers that these can avoid the school lost and found and the washing machine {via Zac's pants pockets} at least for a few weeks.

Photobucket

31 comments:

  1. I have done bows with ribbond before but never with felt. they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. randomness: i'm new to your blog. i love these bows. i love that you took a day off to make hair accessories with your (beautiful, by the way) little girls. i love that you're going to get a break (all moms need 'em). i love your furniture creations and now suddenly want a pink piece of furniture in my home. or green. or blue. i'm mad you live in Arizona. 1. because of the weather. 2. because i want to buy the furnitire you make-over. 3. because i kinda think i wanna be your friend. ;) i only have a little boy so it looks like i'll be making hair bows for myself. who ever said a 26 year old wife and mom can't wear a bow in her hair? not me. not you. so, there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day well spent, for sure! The bows are beautiful! I love the navy and white ribbon... and thanks for the tip to taper the felt strips!
    - Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bows are gorgegous. I love the striped ones. Now I just need a daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Cute! I'm over From Lolly Jane~http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a good Mom! Just wait till the empty nest, that's a killer. It's been three years and I'm still struggling. However, I look back at the good I did with my kids and fill fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good day well spent! I think those bows would make really cute bracelets, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are super cute and easy to make thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope you aren't the only one that didn't know about the taper -- I didn't either. Now I will be adding bow making to my list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Furniture & hair bows? Cute!! Visiting from Lolly Jane :) Kayci

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tutorial. Come and join our link party: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by from Lolly Jane- cute bows! Love the transformations on your furniture! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What gorgeous little bows! So clever : )

    x
    Michelle
    Michelle's Style File

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a simple little trick for the bows! THANK YOU! I'm a new follower visiting from Lolly Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love! Can't wait to find a little girl to make some for ( we have a little boy, and nephews!)


    Would love for you to share at Calling All Crafters, today!
    http://allthingsfee.blogspot.com/2011/04/calling-all-crafters-4th-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wish I had known--can't wait to make some that turn out pretty! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tips!! I am visiting from TT&J and I am a new follower!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com
    p.s. I am having a giveaway at my blog this weekend for a bib necklace and zipper rosette flower! I would love if you checked it out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I am featuring you on my blog tonight {redberrybarn.blogspot.com}. You are so talented! Love your style!
    Have a delightful day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Darling! I'm featuring you tomorrow at naptimecrafters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!! The ribbons one you made are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My mom used to make this for me when I was little! So in love with you blog and your work!!

    Marisa Frade
    Preto-Marfim

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very pretty! I never thought to make hair bows out of felt like that - so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for this great tutorial! I've had it pinned on my pinterest board for a while, and finally got around to making my bows tonight. I am using them to go with Snow White and Alice in Wonderland tutu dresses. They turned out perfectly! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't see patterns for all the felt pieces. Are there pattern pieces &/or a tutorial for the striped bows?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super cute! I love the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the felt bows, especially for the winter! The striped bows are so sophisticated. I'm gonna make mine soon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the felt bows, especially for the winter! The striped bows are so sophisticated. I'm gonna make mine soon!

    ReplyDelete