Thursday, October 13, 2011

How to Glaze

I just finished up an enormous king sized bed.  The owners gave me a photo of an Ethan Allen bed they wanted to copy - a very light glaze over a creamy white paint.  One of the things that can be hard with glazing is getting a light, streak free finish.  I have two huge suggestions in achieving this.  

One, Old Masters Wiping Stain sold at Benjamin Moore retailers.  It comes in half a dozen colors and the workable time is much longer than other glazing products I've used in the past.  It is an oil-based product, so make sure to apply it in a properly ventilated area. 

Two, a large china bristle brush for blending.  This brush works wonders and is a must-have for a streak free finish.  These can be found at any paint store and, to my knowledge, are not carried at your local hardware store.



First, wipe on your glaze with a lint free rag.  Second, wipe it off with a clean rag.  Third, blend with the brush.

Glaze away!


13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips- I am planning to re-do some furniture and I am so glad I found you through Miss Mustard Seed's furniture linky...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I've been wanting to learn more about glazing.

    Dana @ craftedniche.wordpress.com

    ** Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed **

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thanks! I didn't know you used a rag to apply. Good to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever think of offering refinishing classes? I'd love to join if you do

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHA! That brush is what I'm missing. I am loving to glaze but a large solid surface has been kicking my butt! I hate that streaky look and now I know how to get rid of it. woohooo!! are you doing cross hatch strokes or x's or what to blend it out? Looking forward to your answer!
    TY 100 times for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a nice blog. The remodeling Tips you have mentioned are really very good. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Lisa, for asking that question. Do you wipe the whole thing with glaze, or just areas that you want to highlight? and, too, up and down strokes with the brush afterwards, or cross-hatching as Lisa said...curious?
    Thanks. Have you ever considered doing a video like Miss Mustard Seed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for the tip!!
    Jenn
    http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just came across your blog through Miss Mustard seed. Love your style & tips. Thanks for sharing
    Blessings
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa and Denise - Glaze on everything, and yes, x's with the brush.
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such great tips! Thanks. I am having my very first link party and chalk paint giveaway. Stop over and link up if you would like!

    http://www.threeboys.net/2011/10/vintage-furniture-link-party-1-chalk.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the glazing tips! I've been wanting to try this but wasn't sure how to go about it. Too lazy to just start experimenting. Look at all the time and effort you saved me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are doing some nice work Natalie.

    ReplyDelete