Wednesday, September 26, 2012

a furniture scouting intuition

There's not an exact science when choosing furniture to refinish.  I couldn't even tell you what I look for in the styling of a piece, only that I immediately know when I like it.  
It's an intuition of sorts - a sixth sense… a furniture picking intuition.

While perusing Craigslist, I come across many pieces that are very similar to each other, but to me, one has potential, while the other doesn't.  
I've tried to explain the difference to my mom many times, but to no avail. 
When we're furniture shopping together,  she says, "how bout this one?"  I say, "eh."  She says, "how bout this one?"  I say, "bleh."  Then I find one that, to her, looks exactly the same as the one I just dismissed and I'm excitedly wondering if it'll fit in my van.  Insert eye roll from her.  
Of course, something I see potential in, you might think is hopeless.  You could say, the picking process is very personal. :) 
Here a few examples I found available in the phoenix market…
You all know I love some French Provincial goodness.
Yes for this one…(keep hardware)
and a yes for this one…(keep hardware)
No...
and no.  (It's the top drawers and the feet that I don't like on these).
An absolute yes, on this sleek bamboo chest (keep hardware)...
…and pass, on this one.
Yes, to this waterfall dresser (minus the mirror and keep the hardware).

No, on this one.
A yes here (keep the hardware).

And a pass here...
and a maybe here.  I love everything but the side details and wouldn't keep the hardware.

No - the proportions are a little off.

Yes (again, nix the mirror and keep the hardware),
 yes (keep the hardware here too),
and a yes on this one too (and again, keep the hardware).
 A no here (unless refinishing in a distressed way, but still nix the hardware)...
and here.  The details are probably just nailed in and could be removed, but I'm not loving the feet either…or the "line/grove side detail things" for that matter.  So, still a no here, unless planning a distressed finish.
 
Yes and...
super yes.  The size and cupboards together would make this perfect for a tv console!
This is a great french desk or vanity, 
but I'd pass on this one.
This is included because I love it and would have already picked it up if it weren't for the fact that I don't have a king sized mattress.  Darn.

Do any of you disagree with the furniture I would pass up on???  I'd love to hear your opinion!


22 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! All the no's just had something "off" about them. I wish my Craigslist had so many fabulous pieces of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you live that there aren't any? My parents are in N. Hampshire and their craigslist is gold - and super cheap too!

      Delete
    2. I get you completely! Some are just too boxy or heavy, or proportions are off and no paint will fix that!
      Our craigslist is such a hit and miss-soo many oversized, overstuffed couches and chairs I can hardly stand it!

      Delete
    3. I live in Oklahoma. It's possible I'm just not a very good Craigslister. LOL

      Delete
  2. I completely agree - and have the same issue with my mom. I know when I see something if it is gonna work or not but that "know" is hard to put into words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to know I'm not alone! I try to explain it, but it just completely goes over her head. It's the same way with my husband!

      Delete
  3. I'd be interested to hear how price factors into it for you. For example, are there some items that you'd say yes to, but the price prevents you from pulling the trigger? I'd love to know what you factor in to determine where that line is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I'm not really frugal when it comes to what I pick. I know A LOT of refinishers are, but to me it's worth it in the end to get something I really like even if it's a bit more. That being said, I don't go overboard because the market dictates how much consumers are willing to pay. So, if I pay more for a piece, it doesn't necessarily mean I can charge more. But I've found if I put out a high quality unique product, it doesn't eat much into my profit margin.

      Delete
  4. I totally get you. The items you like are well proportioned, and graceful, and they have a lightness of line. The items you reject have a more clunky appearance, and seem to be a distortion of an idea or style. The items you like would be much easier to work into a room. This was a really fun post, and so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would do the same as you! Im a sucker for anything with clean lines and modern but the feet and details tell a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh also, is that king headboard somewhere I can get it!?! Love it!

      Delete
    2. Here's the link: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/fuo/3286849402.html (it's $150).

      Delete
  6. I agreed with all your choices. I too was wondering how you determine what to pay for a piece. When you are looking for furniture on Craigslist do you look under furniture by owner or antiques. Just wondering how you found all these great pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally about decisions based on instinct. This post was so enlightening. Thanks for explaining your process. I agree with it all--except I'm not a bit waterfall fan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few of your yes's I would have passed on and one or two of your no's I would have considered. Price is a huge deal to me, so I usually only buy at auction. Sometimes those larger, heavier pieces, that no one wants to haul, can be purchased for under $50.

    ReplyDelete
  10. do you still have a link for the buffet that was the fourth up from the bottom?? looking for a piece that size right now :) thanks!
    and p.s. you have adorable taste and everything you touch looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe its because it's late and I am tired but with the one that you said "No - the proportions are a little off." About 11 pictures in..I completely saw visions of Beauty and the Beast when the furniture comes alive part... well I was thinking of a super cool boys dresser with the top portion being like George Washington's tricorn hat and the drawers like an old colonial style suit, etc..... or even going into a pirate theme.... It could be a really cool dresser to do a fun project with :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the items you chose! Congrats on that fabulous email of gold too!! I have been looking for long dressers just like the bali hai and campaign one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, you really made the right choices. I just purchased a large console 70s style, and I am a bit scared how to refinish it...but I will give it a try with some hi-gloss fun color! Thanks Natty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, you really made the right choices. I just purchased a large console 70s style, and I am a bit scared how to refinish it...but I will give it a try with some hi-gloss fun color! Thanks Natty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What inspiring and perfect design ,i am confuse to choose the one design.Hotel furniture

    ReplyDelete