Thursday, December 22, 2011

Holiday Lights

This post is quite late in the month to be much help for this year, but I know I'll be pinning if for next years outdoor decorations.  Jenna of Hey Homeslice had a really original lighting idea and put together a great tutorial for you.
-----
Hi everyone! Thanks for having me again, Natalie. Today I'm going to show you a project we worked on this month. I know it's close to Christmas- but this is a really simple job. You can knock it out in a few hours and have your own holiday lights star ready just in time for the big day!

Materials:
1 x 2" strips of mdf
Screws
Drill
Handsaw
Measuring tape
Paint/ stain
Christmas lights (we used 5 or 6 100 light strands)
Extension cord (optional)

Lay out your boards until you have a star shape, don't forget to measure to make sure your sides really are even. Nothing worse than finishing a project just to notice it's a little lopsided!


Mark your boards so you can realign them if things get a little wonky. Things always get a little wonky.


Next just drill some screws in where the boards meet, we did two at every intersection just to make sure it was really strong.


Now saw off any excess wood at each star point and in the middle so you're left with something like this:


We liked the wood raw, but I think it would be really beautiful painted in an extra trim/front door paint, or even stained! Now all you need to do is wrap a zillion lights around it, and it will be gorgeous!

So romantic and beautiful, and full of holiday spirit all at the same time. So, what do you think? Do you have a spot on your house/garage/barn/loft/apartment building/igloo for a giant star? It looks beautiful outside, but I think it could also be a fabulous statement indoors. It also makes a perfect last-minute gift for those who are hard to buy for!

Don't you just love holiday lights??

4 comments:

  1. Hello Naty,
    I love the idea!
    Merry Christmas

    http://zepedrorodrigues.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic goods from you, man. Ive study your stuff ahead of and youre just as well amazing. I enjoy what youve got right here, adore what youre stating and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you even now manage to help keep it wise. I cant wait to go through additional from you. That is really an incredible weblog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful outside, but I think it could also be a fabulous statement indoors, I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates.

    ReplyDelete