Thursday, March 1, 2012

Camping trip

We took the kids camping over President's Day weekend.  You have to know that Zac and I loathe camping.  It's dirty, it's way too much work and when you get home everything including your car smells like campfire.  However, our kids love it and I grew up with an avid backpacker/camper for a father.  The combination of these two things make me feel obligated to take my kids on an overnighter a couple times a year.


Our favorite "camping" spot is twenty minutes away, has electricity, running water and the cleanest bathroom/showers you've ever seen.  Unfortunately for us, they were full so we had to head to a more primitive spot a little further away.  No showers, no electricity and no running water.

Our camping trip ended up being one of those camping trips.  There was no moon, which means total darkness at night, it was freezing, we hadn't packed enough firewood, Zac and I had to sleep in different tents and I ended up with the air mattress with a small leak.  An hour after we all headed to bed, my mattress was completely deflated and I was officially sleeping on gravel.  Then to top it all off, I woke up with a stomach bug.

My kids have seen me puke so many times with this pregnancy that they don't even flinch.  They all yelled, "Daaaad.  Mom's throwing up," and then they were off to the park like it was no biggie.


Needless to say, it will be a good while before I plan another overnighter…unless it's in the backyard…and doesn't include me.




13 comments:

  1. Aw, bummer! Everyone seems to have at least one awful camping experience like that (ours was a storm so bad our tent literally got ripped in half from the wind and a tree 500 yards away got struck by lightning), so maybe you will have smooth sailing from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much for a fun camping trip, huh? I personally love camping, but without a few amenities (especially something comfortable to sleep on), it can be rather torturous. I bet you were glad to be home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You're a trooper to plan a camping trip while pregnant! I always used that as my get out of camping free card!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor thing! Glad you are home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, I feel *exactly* the same way about camping - only I grew up with a father who hated it even more than I did!

    Nevertheless, we take the kids about once a year. I'm really, really hoping that this year is better than last. !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the only way I like to camp anymore is in the RV!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a disappointing trip! Sounds absolutely miserable. I confess, I'm not a fan of camping, either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no that is totally not a fun camping trip at all- I feel your pain. But you are mother of the year for being a good sport and brining them camping. When I have kids I dont know if I'll be that nice haha :)

    PS- I tagged you in my post today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Natalie, I'm here to say hello and to let you know I checked in on your life/blog. As for the camping...24 years and holding of camping with the extended Rogers clan at the beach for a WEEK! Hate camping...love, love, LOVE the memories and tradition. Its worth it!

    Also, love the vibrant colors of your blog, and the softness? and absolutely love your candid photography. You have a gift.

    Lastly, blog/social networking is crazy because it puts IT out there for all to read....but wow - girl - thousands of followers???? anyway...this is a very very difficult time for you please know, among all those thousands of people that look at your colors and ideas, there are individuals. like me, more than you know, who are praying for you. No answers....just faith and love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Natalie, I'm here to say hello and to let you know I checked in on your life/blog. As for the camping...24 years and holding of camping with the extended Rogers clan at the beach for a WEEK! Hate camping...love, love, LOVE the memories and tradition. Its worth it!

    Also, love the vibrant colors of your blog, and the softness? and absolutely love your candid photography. You have a gift.

    Lastly, blog/social networking is crazy because it puts IT out there for all to read....but wow - girl - thousands of followers???? anyway...this is a very very difficult time for you please know, among all those thousands of people that look at your colors and ideas, there are individuals. like me, more than you know, who are praying for you. No answers....just faith and love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Notice you've been quite. Fearing the worst, my heart goes out to you wherever in life you are right now. May you be held up by the strength and love you and Zak have for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have not heard from you and it worries me. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this useful information! Hope that you will continue with

    ReplyDelete