Monday, September 10, 2012

how to keep wood filler from drying out

Wood fillers aren't cheap.  I used to feel like every month I was throwing down ten bucks for a new tub when my current one was still 75% full…just crusty.
Anyone else have this problem?


Now the way I keep my glaze and filler soft, is to store the tub or tube in individual ziplock baggies with a little water.

Adding a tablespoon of water to a ziplock bag helps keep the moisture in and prevents hardening.

I store my fillers inside and that also help to keep them pliable.

If you've got a tub of filler laying around that's already pretty crusty, try adding a little water to remoisten it.
Anyone else have a good way to keep putty usable?

6 comments:

  1. Great idea that is tried and true. I store most anything that has been opened in a ziplock but they of course have limitations. I like your solution.
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this tip...can't wait to give it a spin. I throw out way too much wood putty! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man you're brilliant. Every time I go to use my filler I have to buy a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Find your best furniture featured product deals, furniture discounts, furniture coupons and much more on almost every furniture item with great savings only on dealaboo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dump the whole tub of wood filler in an old jar / canning jar with a tight fitting lid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard if you store the containers upside down that can help

    ReplyDelete